Saturday, January 13, 2007

One Fine Day




There was a suicide bomb to the north of Kabul today and an alert that foreigners are being targeted to our south .. so I did the most prudent thing imaginable and headed west to go inner-tubing. I went out to the Kabul Golf Club (not nearly as ritzy as it sounds) that is still blanketed with snow and for a few cents, some Afghan youths will let you borrow their inner tubes. The area is called Gargha. The funny thing about it (aside from a bunch of adults going tubing), is how Afghans are so unused to seeing foreigners do the things they do (meaning aside from being in tanks and military convoys), that we become the attractions and they seem to think that it is ok for them to gawk and take pictures of us. I try imagine what would happen if on the streets of New York, if I ran up to a bunch of tourists and juts watched them and took pictures of them, and followed them around .. how strange that would be .. but here it is as though I’m the pied piper for Afghans and wherever I go, I get a following (ohmygosh ..I now know how Paris Hilton must feel).

No comments: