Tuesday, January 9, 2007

One boy's story

A translator for an NGO that I work with has a very high and squeaky voice. It is reminiscent of high school when all the boys’ voices were breaking. Since you never know how old people are (Afghans don’t celebrate birthdays), I assumed that he was a teenager in transition. I asked my contact at this NGO “what is the name of Peter Brady on your staff?” I got a quizzical look back and had to explain, “You know .. Peter Brady from the Brady Bunch. His voice kept cracking …” The answer I got is probably the worst case of foot in mouth I have ever experienced.
“His name is Zeldai and 6 years ago when his father was killed, he cried for so long and so hard that his voice never recovered. He is teased relentlessly by other men because he could not contain his grief and does not sound like a man. He will have a hard time ever getting a wife.”
Imagine having a permanent scar of your sorrow. Zeldai’s story is sadly not unusual here. I want to bring Zeldai home with me.

No comments: