Monday, September 21, 2009

The Peruvian Amazon
















I have trekked to some of the highest points in the Andes and decided I needed a good dose of low land to level me out. Next stop: Puerto Maldonado in the Southern Amazon. Actually, to say I went to Puerto Maldonado is slightly inaccurate. I was there, but only to get on a boat to go up the Madre de Dios river to get to a reserve where I hiked 2 miles through the jungle, which brought me to a lake where I then canoed for 30 minutes which finally brought me to my final destination: Sandoval Lake. The natural inhabitants of Sandoval are thousands of birds, snakes and insects, endangered giant river otters, and the rare black caiman (crocodile). If you want to fall off the grid and land in a place of extreme humidity, limited electricity, and surround yourself with a symphony of animal mating calls, this is the place! In between gorgeous sunsets, jungle hikes, and channeling Tarzan, I also found time to rest my weary legs.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome shots, Fiona! and you look like you are fitting in well with the indigenous life down there.