Thursday, September 24, 2009

Ecuador's rain forest




About a two hour drive north of Ecuador's capital of Quito lies a rain forest. The drawback? The rain. It really isn't rain but more of a constant mist that leaves everything damp. The humidity is so high, that a measly aspirin doesn't stand a chance and actually splits itself open. But aside from this, it feels very untouched which is hard to find the more globalization takes hold. This is a place where a simple walk can lead you towards pristine waterfalls. Where people care enough about co-existing with the natural inhabitants, that they create shelters for toucans to rest while they recuperate from a run-in with a puma or monkey. This is also where I learned a new life lesson: if you get an infection after falling, don't eat fish. It might sound like a Ecuadorian wives' tale, but trust me when I tell you not to risk it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am amazed by the blog - and by you. I missed you last night at the reunion... Clearly you would have been an interesting person to talk to and there were not many. Nicole S. gave me your wrong email address. Please find me.
Your old friend, Lori
lori.chajet@gmail.com