Monday, September 21, 2009

Andean pet food



Perhaps I was inspired by Anthony Bourdain putting odd things in his mouth, or maybe it is that my taste buds are shot from over-spicing, but I have tried a good number of traditional Andean foods and enjoyed them thoroughly. First up, cuy or guinea pig. I had hamsters as a child, but never a guinea pig, so perhaps this made it easier. Cuy is generally roasted and tastes like a tougher or gamier quail. You can also get it breaded and fried, but since I didn´t see anyone eating a Cuy Parmesan, I avoided it. Another favorite was anticucho or cow hearts. It definitely helps to only eat a small portion (I would never order it as my main dish, but sharing it as a appetizer works great). It also helps that they prepare it in strips that look familiar versus cutting it out in the shape of a heart. I also found that Alpacha is good for something other than just their hair, but then again, if you slathered enough butter on a cashmere sweater, I'd probably enjoy that too. (no animals pictured were actually eaten).

No comments: