Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Survivor training











Coming to Uganda during the rainy season means sudden, but short, downpours, overcast skies, muddied streets, and time for their delicacy: grasshoppers. You can either buy them fresh (yes, still hopping) and prepare them on your own or you can opt for the ready-killed-and-ready-to-eat from any number of street vendors. They are generally priced by the cupful, but considering I am a novice, I asked for a spoonful (cost 50 cents). Fried in oil, generously salted and dusted with onion powder (to help disguise the smell of the bug), they taste remarkably like stale movie theatre popcorn. Even the irritating sensation of getting a kernel lodged in a molar is replicated, but this time, it's with a leg or tentacle. As I picked my teeth afterwards, I tried to refrain from thinking too much about it.

No comments: