Monday, November 16, 2009

A bird of a different color ...



One of the sights you will get used to seeing in and around Kampala are birds, but not your ordinary bird. Imagine a bird you see everyday (a pigeon or a chicken perhaps) and now make it stand three feet stand and be able to look you in the eye. Add to it some disgustingly phallic features and that is what perches on the street corners here. On the good side, I have yet to see many ne'er-do-wells loitering - perhaps because of these unsightly creatures. Perhaps everyone has mistreated a bird in their past life and they collectively fear that these birds have returned to exact revenge. It is really the first time in my life that I have been less fearful of bird droppings, and instead am worried that I am about to be mugged by one of these feathered felons. The polite name for this bird species is Maribou Stork. Sounds so much nicer than some of the names I gave it!

No comments: