Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Rice Fields




The next time you sit in front of a bowl of rice, I ask that you give a silent shout out to the people who farmed it. I tried to pretend I was one with the paddies, but the walk out through the the swampy rice stew alone tired me out. Plus there is that fear that you might stumble upon some one's ankle, hacked off in their frenzy to cut the rice down for milling. The poorer farmers do not have the electric miller that you see in these pictures; they hack down the rice and carry it to ground where they beat it with rocks to get the grains out. And the process I just explained is just one in a series. There's the planting of the seeds, the agitating of the seeds (I think that means they tease them), the milling, the husking, and the polishing (for white rice). So if you don't want to eat brown rice for health reasons, do it so that these good people have do one less thing to worry about. Oh behalf of all freelance rice farmers, I thank you.

No comments: