Tuesday, January 23, 2007

My virtual refrigerator door

My staff issued their first press release today. The statement is a condemnation of the murders of two women (one, a policewoman who was mutilated by an alleged member of the Taliban, the other, a midwife, who was allegedly murdered by her husband), and I am very proud of them. The writing is stilted, they added this weird sentence about how "women are the most fragile community of Afghanistan who have no authority to protect themselves, so we see violence against them,"
and it took them over a day to get it together, but like a proud parent who puts their child’s scribbles on the refrigerator door, I want to frame their first statement. Who knows whether any press will actually pick it up, but at least they finally tried to be proactive.

1 comment:

Nikki B Strait said...

Congratulations!! You are my hero. Can you post the actual press release (or translation of if not in English)? I'd love to hear what kind of reaction the press release garners.

Ruby misses her Aunt Fiona, but is already inspired by your great courage.

Love,
Nikki