Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Bukhali dangers




My little bukhali. We have a love/hate relationship. It burns me nearly every time I put my hand in to stoke the fire, yet it is the only thing that keeps me warm. These little dears are really just cleverly disguised death traps. The exhaust "system" is a series of pipes fitted together which eventually makes its way into a hole in the wall. The pipes are ill fitting and there are gaps between the connections .. sometimes you get lucky and the smoke flows freely out of the room .. and sometimes you have happen, what happened to me last night. The exhaust back up was so fierce that it actually knocked the pipe out from the wall … the pipe arms then started spinning around the room spewing ash … I didn't know whether to duck and run or try to grab hold of it and stick it back in the hole. I tried fixing the problem myself (unsuccessfully) and then ran to the guard house doing my best bukhali-pipe-spinning-around -the-room-on-fire impression. Sharif (who has saved me once before) came running behind me and like a monkey grabbed hold of the pipe and put it back in to place. The photos are of the bukhali's exhaust system, the aftermath, and my hero.

No comments: