Friday, January 19, 2007

A local cure


Regular readers might recall that I have mentioned problems with Afghanistan’s water filtration process (there isn’t one), so it should came as no surprise that I was hit with yet another round of Massoud’s Revenge (so named for the national hero Massoud who was the leader of the Mujahedeen who helped topple the Soviet occupation and lead the fight against the Taleban .. he too was a war load, but I don’t mean to disparage the dead) .. anyhow, as I lay sick in bed, between bouts of sweats and chills, Sharif, the sweet guardsman of our compound came in to my room offering a local cure. Please keep in mind that as a good Muslim, Sharif should not be alone in a bedroom with a woman who is not his wife (for fear of angering Allah), so he was risking his soul to help me. Also keep in mind that Sharif’s English is about as good as my Dari, so in order for us to communicate, it involves a lot of charades (which when you are sick, you don’t really feel like playing). Here is the cure for a stomach bug: a third of a cup of sugar (unrefined because who has time to refine anything here), 3 lemons (pictured above .. these lemons have paper thin peels and are a hybrid of limes and lemons), and tepid water. Mix it all up and drink it down … BUT make sure that before you take this potion, you are done with your retching.
It has been 12 hours since my first potion and I am feeling much better! I do hope Allah forgives Sharif.

No comments: