Sunday, December 24, 2006

Christmas time in Kabul

It's an ordinary day here in Kabul .. and although there is over a foot of snow on the ground, no one is walking around saying it's a white christmas.
The snow started coming down yesterday afternoon, and from the first flake, I knew that there would be no plane carying my long lost luggage to me for Christmas. Apparently this is the place that Santa forgot.
My housemates did Christmas Eve up big yesterday night, and in typical French style, the table was filled with baguettes, cheese, foie gras, and (wait for it .. wait for it...) red wine in a box! Times are tough here in Kabul when the only red wine that can be found comes in a box. This said, it feels like it's been forever since I've had any red wine .. so a couple of glasses gave me that warm all over feeling (another huge plus in cold Kabul).
Today also officially marks the one week anniversary of me in the same clothes. Sure there are a few extra socks (compliments of Alisa), 2 cotton turtlenecks (compliments of Mireille), a pair of long johns and a pair of sweatpants (also from those sharing girls). Now I know you are thinking, with all that, why do I need my stuff? Well, for one thing, I'm a little bigger (in height and frame) than the giving girls, so the sweatpants and long johns are more like bermuda shorts/capris on me, and the turtlenecks barely cover my Buddha belly, but the donations sure have eased the pain somewhat. I still spend my nights washing my bra, underwear and pants (the pants get dirty from the Kabul mud which is unlike anything I've encountered .. it sticks to you and doesn't come off .. I fear it is more than just mud, but I try to avoid those thoughts.) I will say that the one positive is that I chose well in NOT travelling with jeans .. jeans would never dry overnight in the conditions I live in.
ell I suppose I should get back to work (which is why I'm here after all) .. there is much to do since this office has only been in place for one week and the staff needs to be told what to do every step of the way .. they also need to stop and have tea and stop a pray 3 times during the workday ...
that's it for now .. Merry Christmas to all .. I hope you are spending it among loved ones and have opened a present or two!
as they say in Dari,
khoda hafez,
Fiona

No comments: