Sunday, July 27, 2008

Highlights from the Emilia-Romagna Region

Parma. Land of parmesan cheese and parma ham. You cannot help but fall in love. If you are a vegetarian, you might feel differently as the smell of cured ham hangs heavily over the city. It is also one of the few places in north-central Italy I have traveled to where I saw non-tourist non-Caucasians.













Castell Arquato is a medieval town tucked between the rolling hills that this region is known for. The town is small and all roads leading up to the castle are steep and cobble stoned. I wonder what happens to the people who live here when it rains. Perhaps they all head to Casa Benna.
Casa Benna attracted my attention because unlike most things in Italy, it says that it is open all the time. Imagine, a place you can get wine at all hours. I have found heaven on earth, and its tour guide is Maria Benna. Who wouldn't want to sample wine from this lady ... in fact, I was ready to buy before she opened the first bottle (actually I opened the bottles as her hands looked like they have done enough wine uncorking and pasta rolling for three lifetimes!)

No comments: