Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Thrill Ride


I experienced a first in Kabul – I took an elevator ride! There is a new ex pat “rooftop” lounge in one of the hotels and by rooftop I mean the 7th floor. Once my fawning over the electricity stopped, so did the elevator! There I was, trapped in the dark, with a voice beckoning to me from the elevator intercom. The problem was that it was all in Dari and for all I knew I was being told to “get down get down the elevator is about to plummet!” I started to laugh (funny how fear will do that to you) and kept repeating “hello, how are you .. hello, how are you” in my best Dari. It was all of ten minutes (feeling more like hours) before the electricity was back on and the doors opened. I walked the rest of the way up. ((the photo was taken against the mirrored wall of the elevator .. I was in total darkness which will explain why it is not some of my best photographic work)).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

whatever goes up must come down. this is newton's law. did youhave a pippi lotta with you...the same one you usd to use on 52nd st and the delayed response elevators? the more i think about it th more i realize that pippi lotta has nothing to do with all this. it must be pippi longstocking.